Position Details: Gustavus Adolphus College invites applications for a tenure-track position of Assistant Professor in the Department of Economics and Management to begin September 1, 2022.
Institution Information: Gustavus Adolphus College seeks employees who are committed to and will be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We seek candidates whose experience has prepared them to help us realize our college-wide goal of engagement and inclusion of culturally and racially diverse audiences in the humanities, arts, and sciences. The Gustavus Acts strategic plan renews our commitment to equip students to lead purposeful lives, and to act on the great challenges of our time by diversifying and expanding the Gustavus community and delivering a distinctive and integrated liberal arts education.
Minnesota is home to a vibrant Black American community and growing communities of Hmong, Latinx, and Somali peoples, as well as significant numbers of Indigenous people. We believe that representation from all of these groups contributes positively to our student body.
We are committed to fostering a community that embodies the value of a liberal arts education rooted in pluralism. We engage in this work at a coeducational, private, Lutheran (ELCA) College of Swedish immigrant heritage that is a leading residential, national liberal arts institution of 2200 students.
Department Information: Along with the Management major, the Economics and Management Department is also home for Accounting and Economics majors. The department's mission is to "equip students to identify, analyze, and solve complex problems through excellent, liberal arts-based instruction and experiential learning which enables students to become ethical and entrepreneurial leaders." The department intentionally prepares students for workplace and career success with its many opportunities for students to get involved in clubs, alumni networking events, business site visits, academic competitions, and internships. Our collaborative and experienced faculty members foster mentoring relationships and have meaningful professional experience to share with students. For more information about the department, its faculty, students, and courses, please see the department website at https://gustavus.edu/econ-mgmt/.
Major/Essential Functions: Gustavus faculty teach, advise, conduct research, and serve the college and department. Currently, tenure-line Gustavus faculty have a 6-course equivalent teaching assignment. The successful candidate will in their first year receive a reduced assignment of 5 courses.
Primary teaching responsibilities will include Introduction to Management, Organizational Behavior, Human Resource Management, possible elective courses determined by the candidate and appropriate to the candidate's expertise, and contributions to general education.
· Doctorate in Management, Organizational Behavior, or a related field (we will consider candidates who have achieved ABD status and who will complete their degree by September 30, 2022)
· Prior experience teaching at the undergraduate level (teaching assistantship is included)
· Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching
· Evidence of a commitment to undergraduate student advising
· Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential
· Prior organizational, corporate, or managerial experience
· Demonstrated commitment to working closely with undergraduate students (e.g., research/publishing, mentoring, advising student organizations)
· Evidence of an emerging pattern of scholarly activity
Application Procedures: To apply, visit https://gustavus.edu/jobs and complete the online application. The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
· Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications
· Curriculum vitae
· A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy
· A brief (one page) statement of inclusion and equity commitment
· Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable)
· The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and teaching effectiveness; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
For full consideration, applications must be received by October 8, 2021. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. At this time, please only upload the required documents listed above; finalists will be asked to submit additional support materials, including student evaluations or other evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a brief (one page) statement of research interests. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Gustavus Adolphus College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, disability, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.
Kathy Lund Dean, Ph.D.Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Leadership & Ethics Gustavus Adolphus Collegehttps://gustavus.edu/profiles/lunddean
Kathy Lund Dean, Ph.D.
Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor of Leadership & Ethics
Gustavus Adolphus Collegehttps://gustavus.edu/profiles/lunddean